Rescue Listings for Ohio (below) Updated January 6, 2022 Send corrections to: ColumbusDogConnectionInfo@gmail.com
Do not buy from a Rescue Broker, while not illegal, they are highly unethical
Rescue Brokers buy from breeders to resell for a high "adoption" fee. Puppy mills will continue to thrive as long as anyone is buying from them. Reputable rescues do not pay breeders for dogs to rehome as rescued dogs/pups. Reputable rescues have a 100% spay/neuter before adoption policy. PetFinder.com & Adopt A Pet also list homeless dogs but do minimal screening for "Rescue Brokers".
Signs of a Rescue Broker
- only have puppies for adoption
- adoption fees are high (over $400 is too high)
Columbus Dog Connection started in 1998. At that time, our adoption fee was $125. About 8 yrs later, we raised it to $150. About 6yrs after that, we raised it to $200. In March of 2020, we raised it to $300. Please note we receive no gov funding.
California is considering a bill to limit rescues to a $500 adoption fee cap to crack down on Rescue Brokers.
- not spayed/neutered before adoption, often times they will say the pup is spayed/neutered but when you actually get the pup, they are not. Ask for the vet that did the spay/neuter.
- claim they remove pups from puppy mills or Amish that don't spay/neuter, to remove them from the breeding cycle
- cannot show proof of pup coming from animal shelter