Requirements for Adoption:
- Must live in the Central Ohio area. For rescues/shelters across Ohio, visit: ColumbusDogConnection.com/RescuesShelters.html
- Must be over the age of 24 to adopt.
- Your resident pets must be spayed/neutered.
- There is an adoption agreement and adoption fees are as follows:
- $300 for Adult Dogs (6yrs & younger)
- $200 for Senior Dogs (7 yrs and older)
- $80 for Cats
Scroll down for more info on our adoption process
- To meet our pets: Call our office at 614-471-9000 or click on the pet which you are interested in and send email.
- All of our dogs and a lot of our cats are in foster homes. You must call us to discuss the foster dog or cat you are interested in before you meet them.
- During this initial call we will complete a verbal application and discuss which foster dog or cat you are interested in and if they would be a match for you.
- The adoption process includes a lease manager reference (if applicable) , a veterinarian reference, and a home-visit (in-person or virtual).
- If you've never owned a pet, part of our adoption process requires that you call several vet offices to compare services, prices, and availability. Questions to ask include:
- How many doctors are at your practice?
- Can I request to see a specific Vet or would I be scheduled with first available?
- What are your hours?
- How much is: annual exam, heartworm test & tablets, an x-ray, vaccines, a non-emergency office call?
- Do you recommend vaccines every year or every three years? (every 3 yrs as suggested by the AVMA)
- Once the verbal application and reference check is complete the foster parent will call you to discuss the foster dog or cat further and schedule a meet and greet. All family members must be present at this first visit. After the visit you will need to go home and discuss whether or not you'd like to proceed as a family. You will not go home with the dog or cat after this visit.
- Foster dogs will complete a home visit as a second in person meeting. The pooch that visits your home will go back home with us again to allow your family to discuss and ensure he/she is a good fit for your home before committing.
- After the in home visit you will call our office again and let us know your decision.
- If you decide to adopt there will be an appointment to complete the adoption agreement and pay the adoption fee as above by check, cash, or cashiers check. No credit cards. You will also need to bring a collar and tag with your information engraved. You can get this done at most pet stores.
- All pets are spayed/neutered, up-to-date on vaccinations, heartworm tested (dogs), fiv/leukemia tested (cats), & micro-chipped.
- Known medical conditions are discussed at time of inquiry.